What’s the difference between Japanese and Chinese acupuncture?


Please go here for the answer. Thank you. :)

Does acupuncture hurt?


Usually, no. The needles are extremely thin, about the thickness of a few hairs. A specialised needling technique helps that most patients don't feel the needle insertion at all, and some sensitive ones feel a brief small prick. Patients get very relaxed during and after an acupuncture treatment and several regularly take a quick ‘acu-nap’ when the needles are in. I know, it sounds strange if you haven’t experienced it.
Once the needle is in place and the acupuncture point begins to “work”, some patients feel a warm, tingling, mildly electric, or a dull aching sensation. This sensation is desirable in the treatment context, and unlike any other – in English we don’t even have a word for it, and the Japanese and Chinese expressions for it mean “Arrival of the Qi”.

For acute pain, I sometimes use a point pricking technique which does sting a bit, but the immediate pain relief this techniques brings has been deemed “totally worth it” by many patients.

Are the needles safe?


Yes, they are. I use sterilized, disposable needles which are wrapped individually.

Is Acupuncture scientifically proven to be effective?


Yes. In those clinical trials that employ acupuncture within the framework of Chinese or Japanese medicine, very good effectiveness is proven. Fairly good effectiveness has been found even in those clinical trials where needles are merely poked into people without proper diagnosis or needling technique.
If you wonder about the placebo effect and acupuncture: There are more and more veterinarians out there who successfully treat racehorses and domestic animals with acupuncture.

Who can benefit from acupuncture?


Pretty much everyone.
When you're sick or in pain, acupuncture helps you get healthy quickly and reduce downtime.
When you're well, it helps you to stay well, because it supports the body and mind's natural ability to adapt to changing circumstances, e.g. the change of the seasons, stress and family or workplace demands.
Many chronic conditions respond well to acupuncture.
In the case of serious or life-threatening illness by it helps you to maintain your spirits and it reduces the side-effects of your medication, radiation or chemotherapy.
If you care for someone with a severe illness, it can help you to juggle the needs of the sick person and yourself.

And, as acupuncture addresses your body, mind, and spirit, it is a powerful support in times of personal growth and transformation.

How soon will I notice improvement?


This is a question that cannot be answered in advance, as people's reaction to acupuncture or other natural healing methods varies immensely. Even if two people have the same diagnosis, they are still different people and may react differently.
That much said, about 85% of my clients start improving in the first treatment session, the other 15% take several treatments to feel noticeable change. I have rarely had a patient who did not react to acupuncture at all.

Does Acupuncture interfere with other treatment methods?


Generally, no.
I still need to know which drugs you are taking, because that is important both for my diagnosis and treatment.

If you self-medicate between treatments, this might diminish the efficacy of the acupuncture, so I'd suggest that you speak with me about your medications for self-administration.

If you receive other treatment methods that influence the energetic system of the body, such as herbal medicine, homeopathy, ayurvedic medicine, you should inform your other practitioner(s) about your acupuncture treatment to make sure we are not cancelling out each other's efforts. Ideally, you should give all members of your treatment permission to speak to each other, so they can align their treatment strategies for your best benefit.

Does my insurance cover acupuncture?


The number of insurance plans that reimburse for acupuncture is growing. Check your policy, or speak to your insurance representative.